09 May 2014
Sitting close to a large hotel complex is the flint-built church of Cricket St Thomas where you’ll find memorials to the famous Hood and Nelson families.
08 May 2014
Originally built in 1514 as a sign of power, Barrington Court, set in the heart of the Somerset countryside, fell into disrepair but it was saved from oblivion by Arthur Lyle, the famous sugar baron, who restored it to its former glory.
07 May 2014
Started in 1555, under the instruction of Elizabethan courtier Sir William Cecil, later Lord Burghley, it took 32 years to complete Burghley House, which sits amid a rolling deer park just minutes away from the busy A1 London to York road.
05 May 2014
Harewood House is one of the grandest houses in the country. Built with money from the lucrative sugar trade it eventually become a Royal residence when Princess Mary married Henry Lascelles, 6th Earl of Harewood.
03 May 2014
Welcome to the Historic Houses, a body that advises owners of stately homes how to administer their houses and estates, which are open to the public when you join the comprehensive HAA membership scheme.
01 May 2014
Carl Edwards, MloR, chairman of Men of the Stones, talks about how the industry is emerging from the recession and how companies have to deal with tight client budgets.
07 February 2014
Yearbook Editor Mel Russ welcomes members to the new look 2014 Men of The Stones Yearbook.
06 June 2013
Sherborne is hidden away in the rolling Dorset countryside. Take time to visit the Abbey Church, the ancient buildings in this charming market town, and don’t miss Sherborne castle, once the home of Sir Walter Raleigh who lost his head!
27 May 2013
Watching a skilled stonemason at work is mesmerising, to bring a dormant lump of heavy stone to life is beyond most mortal men but specialist historic building conservation and restoration company FWA have men who can create miracles.
19 May 2013
We were joined by the Rector, the Rev’d David Maylor for our tour of Barnack Church on the evening of May 18th which was attended by 24 members. Stephen Hart, a retired architect, author and a member of the Men of the Stones Committee, led us on a journey through five centuries of the church’s architectural history.